Pages

Wednesday, July 3, 2013

breakfast saloon

a while ago i started making my own coffee creamer because something was making me ill and i was pretty sure it was the int. delight.
sad face.  i miss you int. delight.
since i'm too much of a wimp to drink my coffee with just milk i put my google fingers on and searched something up.
bonus is i get to keep my creamer in a pretty pitcher now:
it is such a simple recipe..... equal parts sweetened condensed milk to half and half and vanilla to taste (about a tablespoon).
i use a bit more h&h than condensed milk.
after my first pitcher was done i made more and i was excited because i had just refilled my real vanilla extract stash.
i mixed it up that morning and went to the porch to enjoy my ffee.
hmmm
sip.
sip.
sip.
hmmm
something tastes... off.
what did i do wrong?
i did everything the same.
i don't understand?
and then it hit me.
i thought i had used my real vanilla last time but i had used my imitation.
real vanilla extract is 35% alcohol.
(imitation has 9%)
come on down to whiskey jim's breakfast saloon for k's twist on irish coffee.
fortunately there was no slurring of words since 35% of two tablespoons of extract in 28oz of liquid is not enough but oh, i could taste it.
i'm not sure if it's because i never drink so i'm sensitive to it or... and most likely... the fact that i HATE the taste of alcohol.  that makes being sober minded and avoiding drunkedness rather easy i might add.  i hate broccoli too but there is nothing in the Bible about avoiding broccoli.
pour that stuff down the drain.  do over.
i guess i could heat it up and burn off the alcohol... yadayada... but i have no plans on doing that.
i'll have to put my google fingers back on but in the meantime imitation will work just fine.

in other homemade news i started infusing vinegar:
i realized that i had accidentally paid $12.99 for lemon essential oil.  say what.
i had picked up something else that was $6.99.... i didn't realize that all the different kinds were different prices. (owa tagu sami)
that's what i get for forgetting to order something online where you pay the same price for quadruple the amount.
so i read that you can just throw your orange peels in vinegar and let it steep for two weeks.  we go through oranges.
i figure that this is rather common since i have recently found out that many people do this with spirits and wines.
i had no idea because in certain aspects i must have lived under a rock for a while.  that's okay... it's a really good rock that cannot move.
i haven't used it yet but i'm rather excited to save my exorbitantly priced essential lemon for my fabric softener and delegate orange infused vinegar to all my other cleaning products.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails