Pages

Thursday, March 14, 2013

under-informed

because i make my own laundry detergent i decided to foray into the world of other quasi-chemical free recipes. such as dryer sheets.
dryer sheets: easy but the clothes still static filled.  bummer.
maybe i'll have to add fabric softener.
i was given a recipe a while back and i decided why not.
recipe called for 6 cups vinegar.
1 cup baking soda.
15 drops lemon essential oil.
strong plastic container
easy.
unfortunately i was never very strong in science and while the thought
'this sounds rather explosive'
did occur to me it didn't stop me from continuing my experiment.
cut to fizzy vinegar flying all over my kitchen and me with ringing ears. (from the cap popping off)
i expected some sort of reaction but it was much quicker and bigger than anticipated.
i wish i could say vinegar vesuvius only happened once but really, it's me, calamities always come in triples.
the baking soda kept settling in the bottom.  stir stir stir, swirl swirl swirl.  finally, shake.
shaking it is not recommended. 
how one is supposed to keep that ticking time bomb near one's washer escapes me.
you'd think some of these details would be mentioned in the recipes.  yet, after much time spent on extensive search engine research, it is never mentioned.
come on people, warn a girl.
thank the Lord above it didn't get into my eyes.
to avoid waste i will be using it but i don't think i'll be sealing the cap to that bottle.
since the static battle is more important to me that the brightening battle, in future i think i'll stick with vinegar and lemon.
sheesh.

i've had much better luck with window cleaner:
1/4 cup vinegar and rubbing alcohol, tbsp corn starch, 2 cup warm water.
no explosions.
(equal parts vinegar and water works too but more elbow grease required for streaks.... and i don't read newspapers and i'm not about to drive through the neighborhood to asking for old ones to stack in my crowded house for the one day i get the hankering to clean my windows.  old cloth diapers work for me.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails