Pages

Monday, April 30, 2012

desperation is the mother of all bravery

update:  i'm back to making my own:
1/2 can of sweetened condensed milk with only real food ingredients
as much half and half as i like to taste.
2 to 3 tbsp of vanilla

i had a long week.
we had a speaker at church monday through friday (not complaining - he was really interesting)
there were various invalids in my family/friend circle that i visited.
we didn't go grocery shopping because we had spent the weekend out of town.
i'm tired.
my brain is not working.
i forgot to pick up international delight french vanilla creamer.
so on this particular friday morning i descended early looking like a lovely picture of rise and shine and remembered i had no creamer.
my tears made my left over eyeliner smudge even further.
i made my coffee and tried using 2% and oh, about a half a cup of sugar but it just wasn't cutting it.
i decided to get brave and google: 'homemade french vanilla creamer'.
and guess what.  there are a lot of people like me who forget to buy their creamer.
i found this recipe:
14 oz can sweetened milk
14 ox milk
3 tsp vanilla
(this lady made her own sweetened milk: 1/2 cup hot water, 1 cup powdered milk, 1 cup sugar, 1 tbsp butter)
i remembered i had bought sweetened canned milk for cookies and i never used it.  then i remembered that penelope had ripped the labels off of most of my canned goods.
i guessed.
i was very grateful i found the sweetened milk and not the green beans.
it was only seven months past expiration.  they're more like guidelines anyway.
my version was slightly guessed at b/c my can was smaller than hers so i did equal parts milk and sweetened milk and vanilla to taste.
it's not too bad.
i think i would have preferred half and half in it (my jeans disagreed)
i have other recipes i want to try now.  just because.
i still intend to get to the store asap to get my real creamer but since i rarely leave the house for less than three errands i'm not sure how asap asap is.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails